WHAT IS WHIPLASH?
The most common type of injury associated with car accidents is whiplash. Whiplash occurs when a sudden, jarring movement of the head is sustained backward, forward or even to the side.
You don’t need to be traveling at high speeds to sustain whiplash. In fact, whiplash was discovered to occur in sudden changes of speed of only four kilometers per hour. Whiplash destabilizes the spine and causes severe pain, as well as these other indicators:
- Blurred vision
• Neck pain
• Shoulder pain
• Reduced range of motion in the neck
• Arm pain
• Neck stiffness
• Low back pain
The tricky part about diagnosing whiplash is its effects aren’t always felt immediately following an accident. It’s not like a sports injury where you more than likely know the direct cause of your pain and feel it immediately. Whiplash can take days, weeks or even months for major symptoms to show up. That’s why it’s important to see us at the Calgary Sports Chiropractic Center as soon as you can after a car accident. If left untreated, whiplash can evolve into long-term pain.
How can the Calgary Sports Chiropractic Center help with whiplash?
Every case of whiplash is different. The appropriate chiropractic treatment is unique to each whiplash injury and the doctors at the Calgary Sports Chiropractic Center will know the best course of treatment for you after your initial exam.
The most common treatments we use on whiplash patients include:
- manually mobilizing,manipulating, and adjusting the spine,neck, and joints.
- soft tissue therapy to relax and release tension.
- exercises designed to increase active range of motion, to increase flexibility and to regain strength.
- ergonomic and lifestyle changes to limit habits or activities that may be amplifying the effects of whiplash.